Old 03-10-2008, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default Greenhouse Base - how level?

"tjr" wrote in message

Hi All,

I'm about to build a greenhouse on some existing paving slabs. The
slabs are very firmly laid, but are not perfectly level. I'm building
a 4' x 6' greenhouse and along the 6' length the slabs are virtually
level, but along the 4' length it drops by about 15mm. I'm using a
metal base supplied with the greenhouse. With this amount of fall is
it OK to bolt the base directly to the slabs, or should I try and level
it up (if so using what?)? The greenhouse is in a sheltered site, so
it won't have to content with very high winds.

I'd appreciate any advice.

If it's sheltered from strong winds I wouldn't even bother bolting it down,
when it's glazed it's not going to go anywhere. As for the fall, so little
is not going to be a problem unless it's in the direction that means the
rain will come off in the most inconvenient place, ie where you can't site a
water butt. But the bottom sections of many greenhouses are shaped with a
lip rather than being flat, this means that you can screw it to timber, I
would use as heavy as possible, and this also gives you the opportunity to
adjust the fall.

Steve