Old 05-10-2008, 04:00 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.bio.misc,sci.agriculture
[email protected] plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com is offline

Default apple harvest ended Optimal strategy on black-walnut harvest, andthen there was pears

Apple harvest ended yesterday with a marathon canning of 12 liters (12
quarts) of ginger
applesauce. Hard for me to tell if I prefer ginger over cinnamon. The
wintertime will tell whether
I like one over the other. Sometimes I include both in a jar. If too
much ginger it has a acrid
taste, but too much cinnamon is pallatable. In my desire to keep my
weight down, I am now
often eating for a meal only a few spoons of peanut butter and a 1/2
liter of fruit. So which
goes better with peanut butter? Ginger or cinnamon applesauce?

The black-walnut harvest started last week and now I have a 50 gallon
plastic tank full
of the unhusked nuts. As the husks turn black and removable will wear
plastic gloves
and dehusk them, and then storage in a back room over winter. So if I
can get enough
black-walnuts then along with the peanut butter will have the so to
speak "meat" of
the meal.

My goal in all of this is to be self sufficient in food for a 1 year
time period if in case
birdflu pandemic scourges through. If not, well, I have a constant
steady year supply
of excellent organically grown food that is a joy to eat.

The remaining food to cann is the tomatoes. I let the horse into the
pasture where
half of my tomatoes were, figuring a horse does not like tomatoes. He
spent a day
eating up both the red and green tomatoes.

And I have the potatoes to harvest. I am waiting for the grasshoppers
to die out
and give the potatoes one last greening before harvesting.

And I have a few rhubarb to harvest.

Finally, I buy in the store, organic cranberry and cann them. Looks
like I end up with
400 jar liters of fruit.

Next year I am going to try something different with the watermelon
patch. Here the
trouble is that the vines like to grow into the mowing area. What I am
going to try
next year is a use of tires with rims and to train the vine out of the
small hole and
to surround the vine with tires, so I can mow and weed easily and give
the vine
plenty of area to spread on top of tires. I also have some old sheet
metal to serve
as another weed suppressant.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium