Old 05-10-2008, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default Allotment finds

Snip

Interesting, thanks Rusty. When I was young I was just told to watch out
for adders as they were venomous and could kill. When I was 11 we moved to
New Zealand and there are no snakes here so I guess I didn't spend enough
time in England to find out more for myself.

They are venomous, and *can* kill, but bites are rare, and deaths are
extremely rare. A girl of about 10 was bitten in Bournemouth earlier this
year when she trod on one, and her leg swelled up and turned black, but I
believe she made a full recovery.

Here -

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...Picture001.jpg

is the one I saw at the back of Sainsbury's Ferndown, last year.

Steve