Old 05-10-2008, 09:21 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.bio.misc,sci.agriculture
Archimedes Plutonium Archimedes Plutonium is offline

Default crabapple harvest; adding chili to applesauce; peanut butter andfruit meal diet

I still have small round yellow crabapples that I can harvest
but seem to not be in the mood. Perhaps if not too busy I will
harvest some of them. Now I want to say something about my
strategy for having crabapples. Many decades ago I was frustrated
by codling moth infestations of apples full of worms. But South
Dakota is perhaps too cold for codling moth to destroy apples.
So I decided to have crabapples of a size that they are still
useful but would escape being wormy. That was the gameplan, but
since the cold weather eliminates the worms, well, the crabapples
are not that much in use. My biggest problem with apples is a
small hard shelled beetle that seems to burrow inside and when I
go to wash a bucket of apples, floats to the top all these tiny
black beetles.

Now I wrote a long time ago that I wondered if the ingredient in
these fiery sensory liquors like Drambouie or B&B Benedictine whether
that secret to fiery taste is a chili or hot pepper derivative?
It may also be a fermented herb like ginger. Ginger in large dose
is acrid tasting. I suspect it is the hot pepper in those liquors.
But to experiment, on my last batch of applesauce I added a pinch of
chili peppers along with cinnamon and ginger.

Now this new sort of meal menu where I just eat some spoonfulls of
peanut butter and a 1/2 liter of some fruit. Today I opened a liter
of Juneberries I canned last summer and had two tablespoons of
organic peanut butter for lunch. The thing about such meals is they
are very fast, and very nutritious and low on calories. The thing about
proper dieting is that we eventually have our stomach's shrunk to a size
in which we feel full. The stomach of a "thin person" is small and
when you eat something like a tablespoon of peanut butter, it takes
a long time to digest and makes us feel full. All of my applesauce
canning has sugar added, since I added cinnamon and ginger and they
make the apples too sour or bitter without sugar. But next year
I will not add any sugar and only after I open a cann and taste will
I add sugar as a better control of how much sugar.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium