Old 06-10-2008, 12:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
~misfit~ ~misfit~ is offline

Default Allotment finds

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Sandy" typed:
~misfit~ wrote:
Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Sandy" typed:
Wrong pattern for a Reticulated, it's actually a Burmese Python.

Yup, it seems you're right. Here's a pic of my Mum with a
reticulated: http://test.internet-webmaster.de/upload/1223194641.jpg

Without wishing to contradict you, the snake in the photo also looks
suspiciously like a Burmese Python to me, and not a reticulated
python ;-)

Well, you could be right and that would explain why i thought the snake in
the OP was a retic. All I know is that my mother was on holiday travelling
around Australia, she visited a reptile park and, knowing that I'm
interested in snakes, sent me that picture. She'd been told by the staff at
the park that it was a reticulated python.

Also, anyone who valued their life certainly would not be sitting
there posing with a retic wrapped around their neck!!!

Makes you wonder. As I say, it was a 'get your photo taken with a bloody big
snake' thing that probably cost her $20 and there were probably snake
handlers just out of shot.

These snakes have a completely different temperament to other large
boids and can cause a LOT more damage to a person due to the structure
of their jaw/teeth, and also the way in which they restrict and kill
their prey. An attack from one of these snakes would more often proven
fatal than not. Retics really should NOT be kept in captivity by
anyone but the most experienced of snake handlers, and preferably in
purpose built reptile houses.

Unfortunately it's not the first time, and no doubt won't be the
last, that one has been found roaming the UK countryside. People
often find they can't cope with such a large snake once it reaches
adulthood and subsequently struggle to rehome them so instead they
let them go free.

Bloody idiots. It's a bit cold for pythons in the UK.

It's too cold for /any/ snake, other than our native species, to
survive for long periods in the wild in the UK. Possibly why the guy
in the news article found the snake on his allotment as it would most
likely be living in a compost heap somewhere close by.

Indeed, very likely.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.