Old 06-10-2008, 08:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Lemon pest/disease

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
wrote in message

I just moved into a new flat in Canberra, Australia. There's a lemon
tree in the garden, which is nice, but it's not in the best of health.
Alot of the leafs look chlorotic. Some have brown patches and holes.
Some of the fruit has whiteish stuff on it. I've seen a couple of
white fly type things as well. I sprayed with a pymethrin/oil mixture
to get rid of any insects. I was just wondering whether there maybe a
fungal or bacterial problem as well that may need attention. Here's a
link to some typical leafs and fruit from the tree. Any help would be
appreciated.

Cheers

Ah Canberra! How I yearn! Cold in winter, hot in summer, sterile all year
round.

:-)) Obviously you've never lived there. It's a great place, but don't
tell anyone.

Citrus are pretty marginal in the Canberra winter. Little ones can be
killed by frost and even mature trees can be knocked back severely unless
sheltered. Fungus problems are not common due to the low humidity. My
guess is that this one is weak from general neglect and suffering all
sorts of damage. Citrus are not really 'plant and forget' type trees.

It now being after the last frost (isn't it?)

Snort! It's never safe to assume there will be no more frosts on the
Southern Tableslands till after you know who won the Melbourne Cup. Another
month to go yet to be sure, to be sure.