Old 06-10-2008, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Att David Poole

On 6/10/08 02:51, in article
, "Dave
Poole" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
Did you get an email from me a couple of days ago about that 'lost'
Passiflora caponi John Innes?

I'm getting very bad at picking up my e-mails nowadays (about 600
sitting there at the last count), but I'll go and look. As for the
Passiflora, all I can say is 'told ya' so!'. When I saw it I was
certain it was John Innes hybrid and none of the reasoning by Leslie
King has made me change my mind. 'John Innes' was growing at Ness
botanical gardens in the early '70s, which is where I saw it
originally and although the memory can get a bit sketchy at times,
your plant brought it all back. King accepts that it matches the
published description reasonably well, but then goes on to suggest
your plant seems closer to P. x belottii. I grew P. x belottii on my
nursery and disagree. There's nothing like real hands-on growing for
getting to know a plant properly.

Ah well, 10 years to confirm what we already knew!

In horticultural terms, this is really very exciting news. As you know, Ray
was sure it was P John Innes because the very old man who gave it to him had
not only been growing it at the temperate house in Kew, so had Ray's and his
mutual friend *and* said old man had worked at the JI centre when this one
was named. He gave it to Ray, telling him it was just that plant! But of
course, those who grow a few as a hobby thought they knew better! One
customer has insisted in naming it as P. belottii so I will now email him to
confirm that he is incorrect.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com