Old 06-10-2008, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
z z is offline

Default lead exposure from hoses

On Sep 28, 12:06*pm, Mycosimian wrote:
I was just at the store looking at garden hoses and I noticed that all
of their labels carry a warning which says that they contain lead,
one should not drink from them, and one should wash their hands after
use.

I am wondering if anyone knows where I can find information on lead
exposure from using these hoses.

well, like everything else, if it was anywhere near the amount of risk
that driving is, you'd see people dropping dead from it every day.

that said, i was surprised to see how high the lead content is in some
hoses:
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Consumer/S...3369894&page=2
and consumer reports found some hoses that deliver water with 100X
the EPA allowed amount. its not recommended that you fill the wading
pool with them, or let the kids and pets play in the sprinklers;
never thought of that.

of course, you can buy the lead free hose; not sure how much it costs.
all the ones I have came with the outdoor sinks etc. i bought. they
all seem to be clear or white vinyl where you can see the fabric
inside.

even if you have the lead free hoses, you still should let the water
run until it's cold so that you don't drink standing water from the
pipes/hose, for reasons of bacteria if nothing else. again, though, if
it were a big problem you'd see people dying of it left and right. but
it's good practice.