Old 06-10-2008, 11:24 PM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default bubbly spinach

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"Richard Wright" wrote in message
On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 22:15:51 GMT, "0tterbot" wrote:

exactly, it's not! :-) the spinach in question is true spinach, not
silverbeet. (i never worry when the silverbeet goes bubbly).

http://www.taste.com.au/how+to/articles/293/spinach

... like the lower two in the photograph.
it also occurred to me that the bubbly plants don't grow tall like the
middle bunch there - they stay short & get sort of wide.

IIRC, wide rather than tall in silverbeet is some sort of nutriet/trace
element deficiency - perhaps the same thing applies to Spinach. Knowing
your soil, it's rather poor.

thought of that, it's certainly possible, although i'd now describe my
veggie soil as rapidly improving!! thing is, the good & bad ones are as
little as 10cm away from each other. which does happen, i know. but still!

i must say i do have the problem of dud plants that just go nowhere, yet
sitting right next to big healthy ones. my manuring is perhaps a little
haphazard, resulting in an irregular spread.

Have you tried adding a pinch of trace
elements when you'd done your bed preparation? Or even a one off
application of packet chemical stuff at the start.

don't know anything about that stuff even if inclined, so no. i've been
adding in blood & bone periodically as well as keeping the mulch going, and
have even been organised enough to have limed a few times! :-)
oh well, thanks farmie.
kylie