Old 07-10-2008, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default 150 year old beech tree

In article ,
hazchem wrote:

A 150 year old beech tree is due to be cut down soon. It looks healthy
but it has fungus sprouting from its base. The owner of the tree
contacted the council and someone came round and said that it had to
be cut down. They said the roots would rot away and then it would fall
over.

Does this make sense to you? I have heard that fungus will hollow out
the inside of a tree and that actually makes it stronger. It makes it
more flexible so that it can withstand storms better, and that it will
live for many more years.

Yes and no, respectively.

What you are describing is the life cycle of trees like oak and yew;
beech is different, and tends to crash down. Note that I am not
saying that it IS dangerous - merely that the explanation makes sense.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.