Old 07-10-2008, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Derek Turner Derek Turner is offline

Default How to grow brussel sprouts

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 22:00:43 +0100, Paul Luton wrote:

I am intending to convert my allotment to 4 deep beds to help rotation.
Can sprouts be grown at all well in a deep bed given that the idea is to
avoid treading on the soil?

What will they follow? If potatoes (which means digging) then you may
have a problem, if (e.g.) legumes that you've just cut off at the ground
then the soil may be sufficiently compact. In the case of most brassicas
I'd hold very light to the 'avoid treading' the gardener's foot is well-
known to be 'the best fertiliser'.

Anyway, why 'deep beds'? most crops only use the top 6 to 8 inches. I'm a
great believer in 'no dig' or minimal tillage.