Old 08-10-2008, 10:15 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Hinge 2 View Post
Looks like a Giant Polypore a bit past its sell-by date: Meripilus giganteus

If it is, it's common, and I haven't heard of it as a destructive
fungus. I repeat, ask in alt.nature.mushrooms - you WILL get chapter and
verse there.
It is a fungus I associate with stumps of trees that are already dead. Maybe that is suggestive of something.

Like this
http://www.aie.org.uk/fungi_base/mer...meripilus.html

Several web sources suggest it is dangerous
http://www.lantratraining.co.uk/Fungi.htm
http://www.islington.gov.uk/council/...05/09/2199.asp

This notes specifically that it grows on the roots of trees
http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/galle...k~bid~6416.asp

Of course tree surgeons have an economic interest, but I haven't found a source suggesting that it is not really a problem. For example, the lantra source above only suggests that certain fungi rae a terminal problem.