Old 09-10-2008, 02:36 AM posted to aus.gardens
Linda[_6_] Linda[_6_] is offline

Default Conifer Pine Mulch

"YMC" wrote in message
u...
Hi,

Its been over 6 months since i posted about my pine mulch problem so I
thought I'd share whats happened since I used the mulch.

Backdrop: I have a dozen conifer pine trees - had them pruned back and
mulched the residue.

There was a fair bit of the mulch and I couldn't just store it in one
location in my garden.

The amount could be roughly about 10 - 20 large compost bins full. And i
only have 2.

So what I did was I stored what I could in my 2 bins. Then I spread it
around in my garden as best as I could.

The mulch seem to turn into something more useful if its placed into open
piles and turned around every month or so.

The ones in the compost bin looked like they turned kind of sour like -
probably due to a lack of water. I travel a fair bit sometimes and don't
get enough time to do necessary stuff in the garden. So I emptied it out -
and after a very short while - it smelt better - that humus pleasant
earthly kind of smell.

The other stuff which I spread around the garden also seemed to turn up
quite nicely too. No plants died but I was careful not to spread it too
thickly. In the areas where i did spread it thickly, the yellow daisy
marguirites loved it.

Now comes the second stage - where I have to take the pine mulch in the
storage areas to the rest of the garden. Great time to do it too - as I'm
getting a fair bit of weeds/ grass runners in the flower beds.

Thankyou YMC, your research is appreciated!
I have a rather large conifer shedding a humungus amount of pine needles and
was worried about using them as mulch. I think I shall use them in the
garden beds as a weed retardant.
It all helps!

Linda (Perth WA) :-)