Old 09-10-2008, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default fuchsia question

On 9/10/08 11:17, in article
, "P. Alves"
wrote:

Hi,

A friend just brought me a hardy fuchsia "Lady bothby" a kind of a
climber he said. The plant is still small like 30cm. I want to plant
this fuchsia under a tree where it still gets some sun. Now the
question is: should I plant it now or wait for spring?

thanks in advance.

PA

Depends a bit on where you live but if the soil still has warmth in it, as
it does here, now is fine. However, planting it under a tree does mean it
will compete with the tree for food and water. Also, this is not a self
clinging climber and it will require support and tying in. Could you plant
it against a wall, trained on wires, or trellis, about a foot or two out
from whichever so that the roots are watered by the rain (but not
waterlogged).
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/plant...1.html?SA=1303
--
Sacha