Old 09-10-2008, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default How much sulphur for acidic soil ?

On 10/9/2008 10:05 AM, Vegegrower wrote:
I've researched the amount of sulphur I need for a 15' x 40' patch of
soil to get form PH8.0 to about PH 5.5.

I believe, based on Espoma product, I need about 13kg so I need to
find
a garden centre in the north east of England that sells in bulk.

Can anyone recommend a seller please?

Be very careful. If you add too much sulfur all at once, you might
overwhelm the soil bacteria that convert it into sulfuric acid. Then,
you will have sulfur doing nothing (not being acidic). Instead, apply a
little each month.

But if you have such a problem, do indeed buy in bulk. You will have to
repeat the treatment annually.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean