Old 09-10-2008, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default fuchsia question

On 9/10/08 21:59, in article ,
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote:

The message
from "P. Alves" contains these words:

A friend just brought me a hardy fuchsia "Lady bothby" a kind of a
climber he said. The plant is still small like 30cm. I want to plant
this fuchsia under a tree where it still gets some sun. Now the
question is: should I plant it now or wait for spring?

Lady Boothby.

While it was billed as 'hardy', a friend bought six, of which I had one.

All six were killed by the cold, whereas every other fuchsia I had
survived perfectly.

So, wait till spring and even then, keep your fingers crossed next winter...

Which is why we need to know where he lives! We saw F. Lady Boothby
clambering around happily in Tresco at a height of around 6', maybe more.
Whether it will do that in Cheshire or Birmingham or Aberdeen, is another
matter. If the OP lives in the warmest parts of the UK or even another
country, he may well be able to plant it out now and let it rip. Location,
location, location applies to plants as well as properties!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com