Old 10-10-2008, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Clive Holden Clive Holden is offline

Default fuchsia question

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message

from "P. Alves" contains these words:

A friend just brought me a hardy fuchsia "Lady bothby" a kind of a
climber he said. The plant is still small like 30cm. I want to plant
this fuchsia under a tree where it still gets some sun. Now the
question is: should I plant it now or wait for spring?

Lady Boothby.

While it was billed as 'hardy', a friend bought six, of which I had one.

All six were killed by the cold, whereas every other fuchsia I had
survived perfectly.

So, wait till spring and even then, keep your fingers crossed next
winter...

--
Rusty

They are perfectly hardy. I raised a dozen last year and left them out in
pots and in the ground. What happens is that they lose all their foliage and
you are left with just brown stems. I cut these back half on most of mine
last year and they budded again in the spring. Even those I didn't cut back
were soon shooting again in the warmer weather.

Clive in Kent