Old 10-10-2008, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mel[_11_] Mel[_11_] is offline

Default Revamped Border

Hello, All. It's been a long time since I've looked at this newgroup - I
vaguely recall all kinds of shennanigans a while ago - but I'm back with a
question, actually 2 questions:

I want to revamp my mixed border to make it less mixed and more perennial
flowers. As a novice, I planted shrubs never believing they'd grow as big
as they have, so my small garden is now swamped with viburnum tinus,
lonicera nitida, rhododendron, hydrangea, ribes, weigela, and the like. The
shrubs are lovely, but there's no room for flowers as my border is only
about 3 or 4 feet deep at the most.

So, my first question - could I prune the shrubs right down to the ground,
which will give me a few years "breathing space" to grow flowers, or is it
best to simply dig them up completely and get rid of them?

Second question - whatever I do, is it best to do now or in the spring? I'd
like to tackle it now, but I'd be looking at a bare garden all winter.

Many thanks in anticipation of replies.