Old 11-10-2008, 11:51 AM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

Default rabbits anyone?

"John Savage" wrote in message
On tonight's ABC gardening program they showed a rabbit cage atop
a worm farm. The rabbit hutch had a netting floor so that the
droppings would fall straight through onto the worm farm below.
All fine and good, so it would seem.

But I understood that rabbits give their droppings a second chew,
and this tidy arrangement clearly defeats that behaviour.

So, is immediate removal of rabbit droppings a wise thing? (The
rabbit looked healthy enough, so I guess recycling the pellets
is not *essential* to a domestic rabbit's extracting adequate
nutrition, even if it may be essential for a wild bunny on a
much poorer diet.)

Just moved to near Toowoomba from 400+km west. Had rabbits make their
dunghills on the acre we had. Now don't take this the wrong way, I did not
examine the droppings closely but they all appeared smooth. Have never heard
this one before and have lived in country locations most of my life, from
Vic to Darwin and quite a few places in between.

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --