Old 11-10-2008, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dolichos, Phaseolus, Lablab etc.

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

I imagine you've seen this:
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....blab+purpureus

No, but I gave up on that Web site a long time ago! I had found
all of the information that it has - it's not a bad collation of
the easily available information, but that's all that Web site is.
And, where the 'common knowledge' is wrong, it is wrong, too.

It doesn't really help with my questions, most especially the
identification and why it never reached northern Europe in
antiquity. I am not convinced about the day length arguments, as
most of its relatives (and the one I grew) flower depending more
on temperature than day length. There may be an effect, but I
doubt that it is a major one in this case.

Oh, and it seems that Lablab has now moved back out of Dolichos,
at least at the time that many Web pages were written. Whether
that is true, today, in the actual academic articles, I don't know.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.