Old 11-10-2008, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dolichos, Phaseolus, Lablab etc.

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Does anyone else grow lablab in the UK and, if so, of what type?

We grow Lablab purpureus here, Nick but not as a food. I really haven't
noticed that they get a lot of beans on them but it's grown in Tresco and I
can see if I can raise an answer from there about it, if you like.

Sorry I missed this - I have been inflicted with a replacement system,
and it's a pain to use.

Thanks for the offer, but it's probably only worth asking if you
bump into somebody appropriate. I am pretty sure that the bean I
grew was not the 'normal' decorative lablab, as the flowers were
the right colour but in very small racemes and not spectacular.
From what I have read, there are a heck of a lot of varieties,
some of which go back to antiquity.

I may ask Tuckers if they have any further information. But I can
recommend their seeds of it (whatever they are) to anyone who wants
to grow climbing beans for eating dry. They are excellent - and
preserve some bicolouration after cooking!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.