Old 12-10-2008, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Weed ID

"Mel" wrote in message
"MCC" wrote :

I have a mystery weed in my borders, and wonder if anyone can ID it for
me.

Mouse-ear hawkweed?

Ah, thanks, yes. I've just Googled "hawkweed" - it's Orange Hawkweed.
Tis the devil's weed, I tell ya. I'll be out with the Roundup this
weekend.

Thanks.

I love it, we found just one plant in the 'lawn many yezrs go nd I tried to
make it reproduce but it wouldn't.

Last year it appeared briefly in the bank, this year it has spread and
spread, wonderful ground cover and it's unaffected by the hens' scratching.
It's still flowering too!

It's locally known as fox and cubs, Devil's paintbrush and (our favourite)
Grim the Collier.

Mary