Old 12-10-2008, 11:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
D. Staples D. Staples is offline

Default conifer pine mulch update

Jangchub wrote:
On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 18:41:50 -0500, "D. Staples"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 23:27:04 -0500, "D. Staples"
wrote:

"symplastless" wrote in message
MULCH

Ignore this fool

Hey, I am very familiar with Livingston. I used to visit a death row
inmate at the Polunsky Unit. Those are some beautiful forests. I
love Lake Livingston also. The Great Blue Herons and the pelicans and
it's just so beautiful.

As we drive there from Austin we go the back roads and pass all the
areas where they are clearing the forest. I hope that's not YOU! Say
it isn't so....

If you are saying clear cutting, no, not me. My clients are in it for the
long run. But we were hit hard, again, by Ike. I am currently running
casualty loss calculations for those clients that took the hit. According
to the state, we lost five per cent of our commercial forest to the storm.
Salvage is in full swing to reduce both the fire danger and prepare some
areas for replanting. Much of the loss is hard woods, with pine suffering
lighter damage. Some stands have nearly every stem broken off at or around
the twenty foot level. The real devastation is further south, Liberty,
Harden, and Chambers Counties.

Much of what you saw is probably company lands. They prefer short
rotations.

A lot of it looked like it was clearing for a larger road. People
trying to avoid 290 to get into Houston. It's a lovely ride. We were
thinking of moving there near the lake for it's peaceful atmosphere.
We didn't really check the environment thoroughly for just who lives
there yet.

Victoria

Next time, come up through Caldwell, College Station, Shiro, Rhones
Prairie, Huntsville, then Livingston. Better scenery.