Old 12-10-2008, 09:30 PM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie Chookie is offline

Default rabbits anyone?

In article ,
John Savage wrote:

On tonight's ABC gardening program they showed a rabbit cage atop
a worm farm. The rabbit hutch had a netting floor so that the
droppings would fall straight through onto the worm farm below.
All fine and good, so it would seem.

But I understood that rabbits give their droppings a second chew,
and this tidy arrangement clearly defeats that behaviour.

If they are coprophages, like guinea pigs, then the droppings they eat are not
the regular ones but a special kind, which they eat straight from the vending
machine.

While I'm on the subject of piggies, I'll just mention that they should never
live on a wire floor (though you can allow a wire floor with rabbits). It's
bad for their feet and may also cause broken bones.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/