Old 13-10-2008, 12:22 AM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Question about Compost bins

"YMC" wrote in message

Due to the layout of the house - I probably need to locate most of my
black plastic compost bins (3/5) to an area of the garden which gets full
sun. I tried it before - but the worms invariably fry during Summer.

But would the composting process still work? (I'll put a bucket of water
each day to keep it moist)

You didn't say what these bins look like or how they operate.

For example, I have 2 of the 'upside down' Gedye bins - the ones with no
base and the lid on them. They operate anaerobically and one fills them up
till they are about 80% full and then leave them for a while. These bins
are ideal for kitchen scrap and they never, in my experience, need the
addition of any liquid. both mine sit in full sun for most of the day and
there is no problem with them.

The other 2 mobile bins I have are the ones on a central axle that tumble.
They too sit in full sun but are a bit more problemmatic. They do dry out
more easily but still work.

I tried the open concept - but the compost invariably dries up and does
not decompose. Doesn't work so well.

I don't make good compost from big piles either, but then I don't have the
strength to turn them anymore and thus they do what your's have done, dry
out and although everything eventually rots - it's not what I'd call real
compost.