Old 13-10-2008, 11:56 AM
PamS PamS is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Where did the goldfish come from?

Hi, I'm new here so be kind ;o)

OK, so I built a pond last May and now a year later it is flourishing. I put in 3 goldfish thinking they would help keep the algae down until the pond established. We also went fishing and caught half a dozen stickleback adults and a couple of young.

So in the meantime 2 of the goldfish have gone AWOL(presumed eaten ;o) and we've had hundreds of stickleback fry.

The one goldfish left is very happily plump and makes sure anyone else knows who's boss.

Over the last few weeks I've been thinking I'm going nuttier than usual because I've seen a largeish black fish gliding just under the surface but every time I call anyone it's gone. My hubby thought I was seeing things and I should go to spec savers.

Finally though today he saw it. Not only that but also a gold and black goldfish. So now we have 3 goldfish, 1 from last year and 2 others from nowhere. We have no idea where they came from apart from the obvious but since she's been the only goldfish in there for almost a year it's either immaculate conception fishy style or the stork brought them. ;o)

Just wondering if anyone else has had fish show up from nowhere.

Oh yeah. It looks like we have goldfish fry in the shallows. Thought they were more sticklebacks but there are no males to be seen.

Cheers Pam