Old 13-10-2008, 10:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default watering habits - dry/drench vs. always damp

"JayDee" wrote in message
So it seems that some plants like to get completely dry, then flooded
and not watered again until dry - but is there an easy way to
determine which will work best for a particular plant or family? I've
been doing the dry/drench on my ficus benjamina and it has been
thriving! Sometimes I go 10 days before adding a drop of water.
However I tried the same with my bougainvillea and it wasn't so happy.
Creeping fig and grape vines also seem happiest with being damp all
the time...

Other than that, I'm adding a little bit of organic fish and seaweed
fertilizer to every other watering or so.

Another curiousity - I spray the leaves every morning on all the
plants - does that actually help them, or just make them look shiny?

Thanks!

- jaydee

Like someone else said in other words, refer to the general region where the
plant originates. That will cue you in to its general water likes. Why?
Some will form root rot due to constant water, preferring instead to the dry
and drowning scheme. The soil also decides how long the soil will hold its
moisture.

Grapes in general don't like a constant moist soil.
--
Dave

If it looks like fish, smells like fish, its not
a cantaloupe.