Old 13-10-2008, 11:11 PM posted to aus.gardens
terryc terryc is offline

Default newspaper starter pots

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 08:20:52 +1100, faeychild wrote:

The newspaper is to break down quickly and the roots grow through it.

Well I take a slightly more cynical view. Newspaper is fairly tough and
and I can see it taking many months to decompose and if roots CAN grow
through it then they would do so whether the container is buried or not.
And they don't seem to. I can visualize a pot bound seedling waiting
months for the newspaper to decompose.

Your assumption is correct, if there are many layers of newspaper and they
are not watered, but remember, the whole pot is now buried in the ground
and it is watered and thus being broken down by being eaten and
decomposing, etc.

Experience would tell you how many layers to use.