Old 14-10-2008, 05:16 AM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

Default Question about Compost bins

"Norm" wrote in message
news:d48d8072-755e-480c-a7aa-However, I used to look after compost bins at
my son's school for some
years, and I now recall that they were not as effective as my own
bins. I used to attribute that to the activities of children,
(constantly fishing plastic bags and yoghurt containers out of them)
but I now wonder if it was due to the effects of full sun. It used to
take a long time to decompose, and they also had the problem with
straw forming rather than decomposing, as someone else mentioned.

If you are able to move some to a shady spot it would be an excellent
test of this issue over the summer. Please get back to us after
summer.
Yours
Norm
***********************

Hi Norm,

I'll get back to you on that! I've located one of the bins in the shady
spot - and the other in the sunny spot.

I think what I'll do is to put the grass clippings, weeds, runners and the
nasty stuff in the sunny spot bin.

In the past, it turns grey, steams, and turns into hay - esp. if no water is
added during Summer. (90% of the worms die) But during Winter - it comes
along beautifully.

I located the compost bin section in the shady spot - and I'll try and
locate more bins in that sector.

Will tell you the results in 4 months time. lol.