Old 14-10-2008, 04:21 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gail Futoran Gail Futoran is offline

Default Where did the goldfish come from?

"PamS" wrote in message

Hi, I'm new here so be kind ;o)

OK, so I built a pond last May and now a year later it is
flourishing.
I put in 3 goldfish thinking they would help keep the algae down
until
the pond established. We also went fishing and caught half a dozen
stickleback adults and a couple of young.

So in the meantime 2 of the goldfish have gone AWOL(presumed eaten
;o)
and we've had hundreds of stickleback fry.

The one goldfish left is very happily plump and makes sure anyone
else
knows who's boss.

Over the last few weeks I've been thinking I'm going nuttier than
usual
because I've seen a largeish black fish gliding just under the
surface
but every time I call anyone it's gone. My hubby thought I was
seeing
things and I should go to spec savers.

Finally though today he saw it. Not only that but also a gold and
black
goldfish. So now we have 3 goldfish, 1 from last year and 2 others
from
nowhere. We have no idea where they came from apart from the obvious
but since she's been the only goldfish in there for almost a year
it's
either immaculate conception fishy style or the stork brought them.
;o)

Just wondering if anyone else has had fish show up from nowhere.

Oh yeah. It looks like we have goldfish fry in the shallows. Thought
they were more sticklebacks but there are no males to be seen.

Cheers Pam

--
PamS

Welcome! People here are pretty friendly and helpful.

Your original goldfish might have produced dark bronze babies - the
original color of goldfish. They look black except under the right
lighting conditions. I have a bunch of them, mostly bothering my big
goldie, and I get more "black" goldfish as well as gold goldfish. The
genetics escape me...

You might also have imported some goldfish eggs on plants, if you've
added any plants. I brought some plants from one of my ponds into the
house to use in a new aquarium (yeah, bad idea, but it worked out),
and goldie eggs survived despite my dipping the plants in a clorox
solution first. I ended up with three goldfish fry in my new 55 g
aquarium! Once they were large enough I put them into one of the
ponds.

Gail