Old 14-10-2008, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Erythrina crista-galli

On 14/10/08 08:57, in article ,
" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

We grow it but only in a glasshouse. Nick's account makes me feel we should
try it in a sheltered place outside.

Here is what I think I have discovered!

It isn't protection from cold it needs but summer warmth, so a sun
trap is the best location. That is where I saw it, but can't now
remember which botanic garden. It doesn't start growing until the
soil gets really quite warm - i.e. VERY late.

It didn't do at all well until I started covering it in winter with
a 2' square pyramid made of wood, double-glazed with polythene.
An ordinary cloche would probably do as well :-) The point of that
is more to protect it from the wet than the cold as such, though
reducing the latter doubtless helps.

And, of course, I put a few buckets of gravel 1-2' down when I
planted it, to ensure good drainage.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I'll pass it all on Nick and see if Ray thinks it's worth a try. It has to
be said that this summer would probably have seen it pass out with sheer
boredom while waiting to flower!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com