Old 14-10-2008, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Japanese Knot Weed

Nick wrote after Broadback wrote in reply to
Bob Hobden wrote:
Why does this make me nervous?

probably visions of Cane Toads in Oz or the Mongoose in Jamaica or Foxes
in
Oz.......
I do hope the research is done properly.

My thoughts exactly Bob. What else does it attack, what will keeps is
under control? So many bad examples litter our history!

Damn few in the UK. Most of our problems have been caused by the
REMOVAL of species, causing a great gap in our ecology. The UK
and Australia are entirely different - almost all of our ecology
is made up of invaders; 500 years ago, very little of theirs was.
Dammit, even humans and dogs have been in Australia MANY times
longer than 99% (?) of 'native' UK species have been in Britain!

Totally agree, but those are examples of disastrous introductions which we
can't afford to emulate.

I can think of a few places here where a large pack of wolves, a few bears,
or maybe a lion pride would have a very sobering effect on the youf!! :-)

Mind you a few Lynx near our allotment site would do for the rabbits nicely.
Rabbits, wasn't it the Romans that introduced them?
--
Regards
Bob Hobden