Old 15-10-2008, 01:01 AM
kris anthem um kris anthem um is offline
Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue H View Post
I hope that someone out there can help us. I our shared drive (of four houses)we have a Pine tree (not sure of the species) which is around 20ft high and about 25 years old. Suddenly we have noticed that the needles are dying and dropping from all branches but only the needles closer to the trunk. At the moment the ends of the branches look OK but I guess that it is only a matter of time. I suspect that it might be lack of water because it was planted in an area with low top soil and is surrounded by concrete. However another pine tree died in a spectacular way behind the houses earlier this year and we suspected lack of water then and now I am not so sure. With a lack of water I would have expected the needle to fall from the end of the branches inwards rather than outwards (logic I thought but maybe not). I have tried to attach a couple of pictures but cannot seem to get them to download- depsite making them very small files.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be, or is it just old age or lack of water.

Thanks for any advice

Sue
hi it is near impossible to diagnose ur problem without a pic but Pine trees have specific desesases that effect only them, sometimes symptoms are needles falling off / browning off.If there is no signs of new growth ur in trouble.Large trees can survive all sorts of water stress but dislike a sudden change of temp around their roots.Perhaps the damage was done years ago when concrete was put down and the tree has struggled on till now.A dead pine tree can look alive for as much as 2 years. Anyway hope i havn't confused ur issue and good luck.