Old 15-10-2008, 06:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
Zoot Zoot is offline

Default Melon ripening question

"Sheldon" wrote in message
wbit wrote:

I hope you have better luck next year with
your melons and that you find that the ones
you have this year can be saved by ripening
on the shelf.

Melons do not ripen on the shelf.

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/c...935010165.html

Interesting web site, nice and informational!

Since I only had a few, I had little to loose. I cut one open, and it was
more-or-less as I expected. Sweet, quite tasty, but not really as sweet as
it could have been. We had a late and wet spring, a late snow, late frosts.
Summer was not hot, and fall came all too soon. We have already had a few
frosts, and I have a bazillion green tomatoes! These melons suffered from
severe cucumber beetle infestations until I discovered Neem. By then summer
was half over so I guess I'm lucky I got what I did

Next year I plant earlier...and watch closely for bugs, and keep the Neem
handy.