Old 15-10-2008, 04:42 AM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Question about Compost bins

"YMC" wrote in message
I'll get back to you on that! I've located one of the bins in the shady
spot - and the other in the sunny spot.

I think what I'll do is to put the grass clippings, weeds, runners and the
nasty stuff in the sunny spot bin.

I think you might be using your Gedye bins in the wrong way. IIRC, they are
suposed to be primarily for kitchen waste and not for the sort of stuff
you'd normally put into a compost heap (like weeds, grass clippings etc). I
don't have the time to hunt through my files at the moment for the
instructions that came with mine decades ago but I'm fairly sure that they
are designed specifically for kitchen type scraps and that is why they are
designed as they are. ie they don't allow things to get into then as easily
as into an open compost pile.

That would explain the difference between yours drying out and mine not
doing so and never having done so and that included a time when they were in
full sun from dawn to dusk.

And they are supposed to sit in the sun. That much I do recall from the
instructions.