Old 15-10-2008, 11:33 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkyWhite View Post
Thanks very much. The wiki description says they can grow up to 15m!! Wow, that would dwarf the house, let alone the conservatory. I cannot attach a picture of it, is there anyway i could get it to you perhaps?

Less concerned now, but don't want a 15m monster so close to the house :O Thanks
In British gardens they rarely get anywhere near that. There is a famous picture of one dwarfing a house at Rosslare in Ireland.
http://www.growingontheedge.net/view...b72aadf686031f
But for most of us in Britain they don't grow higher than about 4m, and remain fairly spindly even then. Look at the one from Loughborough further down the page - he's got his right next to his house and it isn't going to get much bigger than that. So unless you have a coastal garden in a very mild location, it's not going to happen.

They are really rather common in people's gardens, every garden centre sells them. Once you start looking, you'll see that many people have them, and they are popular for front gardens. Look around to see how your neighbours are doing.

If you want me to look at a picture, I suggest you join a free picture gallery site such as flickr and download it to that.