Old 15-10-2008, 04:04 PM posted to aus.gardens
Trish Brown Trish Brown is offline

Default Pattersons' Curse

Linda wrote:
Least I think that's what it is!
I was driving past a meadow of deep purple (my favourite colour)
anywho I stopped, took a cutting and I am now told it's Patterson's Curse!
I have a HUGE garden so there's plenty of room.
How bad is this delightful flower?

Linda

ROTFL!!! Weeds make *great* specimen plants and Paterson's Curse is no
exception. Keep in it a pot in case it feels like taking over your yard.
You'll be interested to know one of its European names: Viper's Bugloss.
Isn't that great?

I've currently got a white clover in a hanging basket. It makes a lovely
show, spilling over the basket and eventually making a bridal veil of
honey-scented flowers!

A few weeks ago, I noticed some Red Clover growing on the roadside verge
at the Beresfield Interchange, near Maitland. My long-suffering DH
drove me out there and we parked precariously on the verge while
rush-hour traffic passed us by. Drivers were looking at us most
curiously as we busily dug up a half-dozen Red Clovers to take home.
I've got them in pots and they're flowering beautifully. They don't seem
to have the same growth habit as the White Dutch (which is a trailing
plant). Instead the Red Clover grows upright as a low (two foot or so)
shrubby herb. It's so pretty! Now, the search is on for a Strawberry
Clover. I used to see quite a bit of it when I lived in Armidale, but
haven't seen any near N'cle. Haresfoot Trefoil is interesting too.

Let us know how your Paterson's Curse gets on, won't you? ;-D

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia