Old 15-10-2008, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default 150 year old beech tree

In article . 145,
Davy wrote:
The fungus seems to too gone over for a positive ident;
but looks like giant polyphore to me - very common on
beech.

As are a good many other bracket fungi with similar properties.

This attacks the roots and by the time the bracket fungus
appears the roots are damaged and the tree could easily
blow down.

Yes, but that implies that it actually harms the roots. Does it,
or is it just a heartwood destroyer, and simply reduce the
structural integrity? I thought that it was the latter.

I have just had this with an 80-year old beech growing
through electric and telephone cables and beside a road -
cost £400 to disassemble - two men during one day.

Not a lot for a complicated task.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.