Old 15-10-2008, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Erythrina crista-galli

In article ,
says...
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

It isn't protection from cold it needs but summer warmth, so a sun
trap is the best location.

So why did yours flower this year, but not last? ;-)

A bigger boss. My earlier problems (with several plants, in pots and
in the ground) were that they didn't make enough growth in the summer,
and so were set back to square one by each winter.

My point there is that it is VERY late coming into growth - and I mean
June - unless it is mollycoddled. It does OK in the USA, because the
soil warms up so much faster when spring starts.

It's not quite as late as Passiflora incarnata, but isn't far off.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I know you were trying like me to grow it from seed but I gave up as it
never seemed to grow, how did you crack it? As to growing it outdoors
they have large healthy plants at the Garden House and Rosemoor, both in
Devon and both in sunny borders and about 4 feet from a wall.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk