Old 15-10-2008, 03:41 PM posted to aus.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

Default Question about Compost bins

news:48f5668c$0$10587$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader- I think you might be
using your Gedye bins in the wrong way. IIRC, they are
suposed to be primarily for kitchen waste and not for the sort of stuff
you'd normally put into a compost heap (like weeds, grass clippings etc).
I....

OK, I see. We don't have a lot of kitchen waste and so most of the stuff
that goes into the Gedye bins is the lawn clippings, weeds etc..

Well, I'll let the forum know about the progress. The reason why I'd like to
use the Gedye bins for my lawn clippings is that they have a better chance
of killing the grass runners, weed seeds etc.. than the open pile concept.

(I guess if I was more active in turning over the open compost - maybe the
weed seeds/runners would be killed - but I travel a fair bit and can't be
around to do that).

I've relocated the compost bins to a shady area in the garden and will let
the group know whether it went ok or not.