Old 16-10-2008, 05:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Moving a Garden...Advice needed

On 10/15/2008 3:38 PM, lollabridges wrote:
I would much appreciate any advice from all of you Gardeners out there.
I am moving house and intend to move all the contents of my garden
too.

Is there a particular time of year that this should be done?..or can
all be uprooted in October?
Will most plants like roses cope with being cut back at this time of
the year?..I'm in the UK by the way.

I have all sorts of bulbs...that bloom at different months throughout
the year.
And I'm now ready to dig
Any advice would be MUCH appreciated.

You better check with your real estate agent or an attorney. In the
U.S., the sale of a house generally includes the garden and all the
plants in it.

I don't know about moving roses.

Most bulbs should be dug right after their foliage dies; thus, you can't
dig all of yours since they have different seasons. In particular,
Amarillis belladonna ('Naked Lady') and its relatives will refuse to
bloom for several years if it's dug at the wrong time of the year. On
the other hand, some evergreen bulbs and bulb-like plants (Hippeastrum,
Agapanthus) can be dug at any time of the year; however, I recommend
against digging them while they are in bloom. Bearded iris are best dug
in the early fall; I don't know if it's too late for them now.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean