Old 16-10-2008, 08:50 AM posted to aus.gardens
Linda[_6_] Linda[_6_] is offline

Default Pattersons' Curse

"Linda" wrote in message
Least I think that's what it is!
I was driving past a meadow of deep purple (my favourite colour)
anywho I stopped, took a cutting and I am now told it's Patterson's
Curse!
I have a HUGE garden so there's plenty of room.
How bad is this delightful flower?

F...ing ghastly. But then I live on a farm and we spend a lot of time
and herbicide trying to eradicate each and every one.

But, having said that, it is a garden escapee, so it came here as a
decorative plant, so it does have garden value. Depends on where you
live I guess. If you live in the middle of farmland then don't plant it
or your neighbours will hate you. If you live in the city, then go ahead.

Reminds me of a story. Years ago, a friend of Scots origins was having
her 40th birthday. My husband, who has a wickedly dry sense of humour,
took my welding gloves, went off to the back paddock and came back with a
huge bunch of Scotch thistle flowers. We went to her party and he
presented her with the sheaf of Scotch thistles. She laughed and everyone
else there whooped and hollared and poured scorn on my husband. Our
friend put them in a big vase anyway and put them in the middle of her
sideboard.

About an hour later a family from Sydney arrived, saw the Scothch thisles
and went in raptures about these gorgeous flowers. Where did she get
them? How much did they cost? (They must have been expensive!) They must
have them in their garden!

All we rural dwelling people were simply dumbstruck.

I totally understand where you are coming from after all, this is your
livelihood we're talking about!
I guess it's true though 'one mans weed is another woman's treasure'...or
something like that.
May your crops be fruitful
Linda (Perth WA)