Old 16-10-2008, 05:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gary Woods Gary Woods is offline

Default garlic

se (JustTom) wrote:

Is the "# planted" bulbs or cloves?

Cloves.

From the "source" column, it looks like you buy new stock every year,
or does that just mean where you got your originals from?

That's the original source, in some cases years ago. I'm not really sure
that belongs in the spreadsheet, because there's a separate accession file
with considerably more detail.

What does column Q represent (the length inc buffer feet one) ?

I need to add info in the footer; the cloves go in a 4' wide bed at 6X6" or
8X8" spacing, depending on variety. That number, with the total at the
bottom is how long the bed will be. That helps me tweak the numbers
planted to fit. This year, the bed has 103 feet available, with only
moderate fertility. I'm hoping for some help from my chicken-raising
neighbors.

Have you ever tried saving and planting from bulbils?

Not directly; I've occasionally given away bulbils to folks who want a
cheap start. It's also a good choice if you're worried about soil-borne
disease.

The sky is getting brighter overhead, so it looks like the rain has blown
through. 0.6" in the rain gauge when I looked earlier, after a couple of
weeks of nothing, so shouldn't be too muddy. My soil is mostly clay,
interspersed with shale and the occasional traveling boulder, thanks to the
late glacier.

Hope this helps,