Old 16-10-2008, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default Fan-trained fruit advice, please.

The message
from Derek Turner contains these words:

One of the kids has
asked about pomegranates - would these be possible? How much run of wall
should I allow for each specimen?

Pomegranates should fruit on CI, I'd think, but I'm not sure about
training them. There was someone living on the mainland bragging on,
IIRC, GQT or similar, about having a pomegranate in a tub which lived
inside in winter and outside in summer, and had samll but usable fruit.

Their growth is like a sort-of 'Afro'. Mine hasn't even flowered yet
(grown from a pip) but seems to be quite hardy (for variable values of
'quite').

Those I've kept inside here in Norfolk have kept their leaves, while
those outside have done the traditional autumn thing.

Personally, I'd find a sunny corner where it can lord-it in splendid
isolation. Pomegranates picked ripe are about as like shop-bought ones
as chalk is to cheese. *AND* they are full of antioxidants. If you can
somehow get - I mean force - the kids to eat the skins and pips, these
have enormous emounts of antoxidants in them, I learned recently.

They'd do better in a conservatory, though, and I understand, are not huge.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig