Old 16-10-2008, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Fan-trained fruit advice, please.

On 16/10/08 16:09, in article , "Derek
Turner" wrote:

I am helping a local school turn a neglected garden into an 'allotment'

The garden runs E/W on its longest side with the northern boundary being
a granite wall about 2 metres in height. A wall of similar height
protects the garden from the prevailing westerlies. The soil is light and
in good heart. The garden slopes from west to east and slightly from
north to south. The location is Saint Brelades bay, Jersey
www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=saint+brelade&countryCode=GB
but we are far enough from the sea to be unlikely to be affected by
spray, except in a really strong easterly and a high tide. (Just below
and to the left of where it says B45 on the map).

I am proposing a one-metre border at the base of the wall for growing
tender fruit. My thoughts so far are peach, nectarine both fan-trained
against the wall. I have a run of about 20 metres of wall to play with.
and am open to suggestions for suitable candidates. One of the kids has
asked about pomegranates - would these be possible? How much run of wall
should I allow for each specimen?

tia
Derek.

You'll get Pomegranates to flower with a good summer but fruit is unlikely.
My ex mother in law had Pomegranates in the walled part of her garden in
Grouville (slopes South) and while the flowers were delightful, there was
never any fruit on them. Had you thought of figs, btw?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com