Old 17-10-2008, 12:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mel[_11_] Mel[_11_] is offline

Default Sweet Corn

"tony newton" wrote
There are several types of gene sweetness described in increasing
order of sweetness SU (Sugary), SE (Sugar Enhanced), SH2 (Supersweet)
and finally the new tendersweet versions. The first two can be grown
together usually without problems*. The SH2 or Shrunken seed's gene
isn't that stable so pollen from SU or SE types can make it revert to
field maize i.e not sweet at all..............

Tony, great information. Thank you! I now know what to look for when
choosing my sweetcorn seeds for next year. This year I grew Sweet Nugget,
which I see is an SH type. I must've had beginners luck, because the plants
flowered very early and almost all produced well-filled cobs, ready at the
beginning of September. Not all the cobs filled out well, however, and I
only got 1 cob per plant, so next year I'll fertilise more carefully and
perhaps make a bigger block.

My allotment is up north on th'edge o'moors - cold, wet and windy - so I
need a variety that will best tolerate these conditions.

Once again, many thanks for your excellent advice.

Regards.