Old 17-10-2008, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sweet Corn

In article ,
tony newton wrote:
There are several types of gene sweetness described in increasing
order of sweetness SU (Sugary), SE (Sugar Enhanced), SH2 (Supersweet)
and finally the new tendersweet versions. The first two can be grown
together usually without problems*. The SH2 or Shrunken seed's gene
isn't that stable so pollen from SU or SE types can make it revert to
field maize i.e not sweet at all. The same applies to the Tendersweet
varieties. The SH2 seed looks shrunken or dried up in the packet btw.
If the packet says grow apart, that's often an indication it's not SU
or SE in type rather than the description.

Interesting. I may try that :-) I was brought up on maize and much
prefer 'proper' green maize, preferably half ripe (when it has a
nutty taste). It's damn hard to get seed now on a domestic scale.

I tried some of the 'heritage' varieties, but they were decorative
rather than edible. They tasted fine, but were tough even by my
standards and nobody else felt that they were worth the hard labour
of eating them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.