Old 17-10-2008, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Robert \(Plymouth\)[_256_] Robert \(Plymouth\)[_256_] is offline

Default Autumn sown peas

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
On 16/10/08 23:13, PDM wrote:
"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
et...
I don't know who it was here that recommended it, but I sowed a few
drills of peas (Douce Provence) in open ground on my allotment 2 weeks
ago and already there is very high germination rate with loads and loads
of stout little shoots showing. I am well pleased with the advice and
am well looking forward to early picking next year.

Anyone else do over-winter peas?

Ed
(Herts, UK)

Yes I planted Little Marvel last year under small polytunnels. Did really
well; huge crop, totally beyond my expectation. Due to time restrictions
not able to do the same this year.

PDM

Great, that is very encouraging.

But tell me this. Is it necessary to cover the peas with fleece to guard
against frost or are they sufficiently winter hardy like autumn sown broad
beans?

Ed

I will sow round seeded peas, Meteor in January and they don't need
protection down here, just the pea sticks to stabilise them

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com