Old 17-10-2008, 01:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default heating the pond in winter

wrote:

This is a lot easier, if you don't top-post...

I dont worry about a bit of water inside the collector. even our hoses
have water
inside and that rubber is flexible enough to expand by that amount.

Rubber is (_only_ rubber hoses, though, not plastic), but I'd have to say
you haven't actually seen the pool heaters. They're not flexible, and I
guarantee you that if one freezes with water in it, it will be ruined. The
DHW drain-down system is the way to go.

For domestic hot-water use, we use a system much like Jan describes - a
glycol solution, continuously pumped through a collecter to a heat
exchanger.

I would never trust any solution in the hose near my pond.

Assuming by "solution" you mean glycol, it could be worth actually
establishing beforehand whether the "non-toxic" antifreezes (Propylene
glycol?) are a problem for fish.

and the whole idea is to
heat my pond in winter so I dont have to use the 500 watt heater.

I have no idea what that's in response to.
--
derek