Old 17-10-2008, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grit?

"Pete C" wrote in message
Tonight, Tony Buckland was using horticultural grit on the top of some
pots of bulbs. What is the difference between this grit and any other
grit/gravel?

Dunno! I keep chickens and use the grit I buy for them for the purpose.
Grit is grit is my guess! I suppose you could sieve your soil and get grit
out of that if you were pushed. Grit is only mashed up stones after all
that you pay a lot for more for at the garden centres than you can get it
from a farm store. I can hardly carry the bag of grit I can buy from my
local farmer for 3 quid. He's diversified into supplying food for horses,
rabbits, chickens, racing pigeons etc,and does well from it.